Thursday, March 1, 2012

Your employers could be monitoring you...

Due to society’s growing dependence on the Internet, companies are having a larger issue with keeping their employees focused on their daily tasks. While not all companies have a problem with Internet misuse, it is becoming a hindrance for productive work. Most employees have the right to monitor computers without the employee’s knowledge. Be wary of what you do on the Internet because an employer has the right to check your Facebook to see what you are posting while at work. According to an article by Read Write Web, employers use Facebook and Twitter along with other social networking sites to "make sure that employees don't leak sensitive information on social networks or engage in any behavior that could damage a company's reputation."
Here is an example of an employee abusing internet rights in the workplace and the consequences he faced.



Source

7 comments:

  1. I experienced this while at the doctor's office. The nurse came in to do her normal routine and after she left I could see her in her office right across the hall. She didn't know I could see her but she went right to the computer and was checking her Facebook. When the doctor walked by I noticed she exited off the page so she wouldn't be caught , it was not professional at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misuse of the internet is a big thing today. Most of these social website can be addicting and people do get fire because of it. I support 100% because if I were to employ a person I would not pay them unless they were doing their job. I would not want to waste my money on a person if they were not doing the right thing on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that employees should not be surfing Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin while on the company's time. However, I do not think an employee should be automatically terminated; maybe there should be a warning first and then if the problem persists another course of action should be taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My company offers a little bit of leniency depending on the person. If the employee is efficient and doesn't need monitoring, they are usually allowed to do what they like, but certain websites are blocked, such as Facebook. If someone tries to access forbidden sites, a big red screen pops up that says your actions have been recorded. My job requires me to search for specific information online, and I regularly encounter this screen. Needless to say, it scared me half to death the first time I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes work can be boring and some employee tend to count every mint to leave their off. In this kind of situation I think employers should understand and be flexible with their rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friends got in trouble while at work while on Facebook and playing games. It not only made their employers mad but it also made our lady who ran the internship program look bad. For worker productivity to be high, there needs to be less distractions at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my work not only uses facebook to monitor us while at work but while we're gone as well. a girl i worked with called out 'sick' then during the day several of her friends tagged her in pictures at the beach. she had to have a meeting with our boss when she returned and was put on warning.

    ReplyDelete